Qualifications and Application
Hawkinson Scholarships are awarded annually to undergraduate or graduate students who are residents of or currently attending school in Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota, North Dakota or Wisconsin.
- Applicant must be a resident of (or currently attending school in) Iowa, Minnesota,
North Dakota, South Dakota or Wisconsin.
- Scholarship finalists must be available for a personal interview in Minneapolis.
- Scholarship recipients must attend an award ceremony in the fall of 2015;
(attendance may be excused in exceptional circumstances).
- Scholarship awards will be announced by July 1.
- Scholarships are awarded without regard to religious affiliation.
- All decisions by the Hawkinson Foundation Selection Committee are final.
In addition to the above qualifications, applicants must have demonstrated a commitment to peace and justice through at least one of the following:
- Completed a specific peace and justice project;
- Were courageous in pursuing their convictions about peace and justice;
- Displayed ongoing commitment to, and leadership in, a peace organization;
- Served as a role model for others in moving church or society into new realms of thought and practice regarding peace and justice.
In addition, applicants must demonstrate how the use of the award money for study, an internship, or a special project will deepen their personal commitment to peace and justice and will promote peace and justice for others. A personal interview is required. Scholarships are awarded without regard to religious affiliation.
Begun in 2009, the top applicant (or applicants) is selected as the Jacobson Scholar, named in honor of former board member and treasurer Stan Jacobson In honor of his service on behalf of the Foundation.
The deadline for application is March 15 of each year. Selected applicants are invited to an in-person interview in Minneapolis, usually in May of each year. Recipients are notified mid-summer. All recipients are asked to attend the Foundation's Annual Awards Presentation each fall.
Applications are accepted starting January 1. To get started, download an application:
If you have any questions about the application process, please email info firstname.lastname@example.org.